Thursday, February 3, 2011

A door, a dresser, and a light...

This is our door. We bought it at Building REsources in San Francisco. I read about Building REsources in my favorite magazine, Sunset. It is AMAZING. If you have ever been to Omega Salvage or Urban Ore then you kind of have an idea for what it's like. Building REsources is better than the aformentioned though. It is cheaper, the people rock, and it's a non-profit!  As we were perusing through the doors trying to find a headboard for a project I saw on our good friends Nick and Jessica's blog, I came upon this beauty. We really like how Nick and Jessica used a window for their platform bed. My smart husband though decided that glass, Christian, and bed do not go well together. I am pretty clumsy and toss and turn like a dolphin while I'm sleeping and can just see me busting through the glass in the middle of the night. Needless to say, John thought a door would be safer =) I was SO excited when I found this door. It has the perfect old world rugged feel we are going for in our new room! There were two, but at $50 bucks a door, we decided to get just one. (I think John might be secretly planning a trip back just to purchase second though.) We intend to hang this just as shown (minus the chair) directly behind the platform bed John made for us! I can hardly wait to get it up and see how it looks! We have been spending many hours picking out paint, materials, and designs for our much larger, much better room that we will soon have! We have not decided on colors yet but I know John is equally excited because when I came home from work today, this is what I found on our bed...
A plethora of colors, notes, wood, booklets, and paint samples! 
In addition to our headboard, we also bought some redwood so that John can make me this dresser...
I found this dresser on Anthropologie's Website. I found out about this store from Jessica (of Nick and Jessica) as well! I fell in love with this industrial wooden dresser and since it's $998.00, I opted to beg my husband to built it instead =) To be honest, I don't really have to beg, he is happy to do it, along with my father-in-law! The last treasure we found at Building Resources was a couple of wire baskets. We have been looking for wire baskets because John wanted to make this project that he saw in the newspaper. 
After seeing it in the newspaper, we discovered that again, Anthropologie had their own version (pictured above). This is our basket...
We are going to turn it upside down and cut the wire so we can put an old fashion lightbulb through it and make a hanging light! I am so excited! I was hoping to find one a little more decorative but I am happy with what we were able to get. And at $1 for the basket, about $15 for the light, and $10 for the hardware, we will make out WAY better than the $148 we could have paid for one purchased at Anthropologie! So after seeing some of our ideas and samples of our projects, what do you think? Will we be able to accomplish the industrial, rugged, room we are going for? I hope so! 




3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I love this door and it looks like you gave me a new store to drag Nick too! Also, it's pretty funny but I think our tastes are quite similar- I have been in love with that dresser for a while now and Nick has had his eye on that light fixture too. We are excited to go flea marketing with you guys this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! So cute. I'm jealous. This makes me want to come visit just to go to that store!! It sounds like Guy would also love it. Don't you love having a handy husband! It pays off in so many ways :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy come visit! There are so many of these stores in this area it's so much fun! Jessica, that is awesome that you guys have been looking at that dresser and light! I can't wait for John to build them for me! We will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete