Saturday, February 5, 2011

A little bit o' cactus, a little bit o' succulents, a little bit o' love...

I am so excited to show you what I did today! We had some left over apothecary jars from our wedding and I have been going back and forth on what to do with them. I love how pretty the clear glass is and I liked the idea of putting something more permanent in them than seasonal decorations. This morning, while making coffee, I had an epiphany. I have been wanting to do a cactus garden for a really long time. I wanted a little piece of Tucson in our home to remind of us where we met. I decided to try and make a cactus and succulent terrarium out of our jars! I thought two might be too much so I had the idea of using one as a picture frame. Shopping for the items, not surprisingly, took much longer than actually putting them together. Here is what I started out with when I came home from Navale's...


To do this project I needed...
small pebbles, plant charcoal, succulent soil, and plants. As well as something to put the plants in. 
I started on the picture frame one first; I figured that was easier and I was little nervous about the whole project so I guess I was looking to boost my confidence. It only took me about three minutes to put it together and then I started on the real project.


 I ended up buying way more plants than I needed, and could only fit two in the jar! I am really happy with how it turned out though! I decided to use a left over mason jar from the wedding to plant the aloe I bought. Here is a picture of three projects. 


I apologize for the shotty picture, my blackberry does not have a good camera. Anyway, I thought it needed a little something more so I added the tera cotta dishes I got at the garden store. 



So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment